Chief Development Officer
Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing, Inc. is dedicated to the physical and emotional rehabilitation of disabled active military service personnel and disabled veterans through fly fishing and associated activities including education and outings.
Authority and Responsibility
Project Healing Waters’ Chief Development Officer represents a full-time executive-level leadership and management position within the Project Healing Waters Headquarters organization. The Chief Development Officer is not a member of Project Healing Waters Board of Trustees. The Chief Development Officer reports to the Chief Executive Officer and serves as a key executive leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting the organization. In partnership with the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Development Officer is responsible for all aspects of Project Healing Waters’ development and fundraising activities.
In addition, the Chief Development Officer will:
- Provide development and fundraising coordination for Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing for the senior management team
- Serve as development and fundraising liaison to Project Healing Waters’ partners
- Serve as the staff representative for collaboration and advice on the Development Committee
- Keep Project Healing Waters’ Chief Executive Officer informed of development and fundraising strategy implementation and the challenges encountered during its execution
- Serve on the Development Committee
- Develop, implement, and manage the development and fundraising aspects of the annual budget in coordination with the Development Committee Chair
- Cultivate existing relationships with public and private funders
- Ensure development and fundraising initiatives are fully integrated with all other efforts across Project Healing Waters’ portfolio
- Provide insight into developing and executing the development and fundraising plan and budget
- The Chief Development Officer can recruit other volunteers to assist in the responsibilities outlined in this job description
- Provide input for the annual Staff Development Plan
- Conduct analysis and provide feedback for an internal assessment of development and fundraising responsibilities and strategic goals and objectives to determine potential return on investment for additional development resources
Requirements of the Chief Development Officer include:
- Development and Fundraising Organizational Leadership and Management:
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership by being actively involved in organizational development and fundraising, developing a broad and deep knowledge of budgetary requirements across all programs
- Focus Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing organizational efforts to understand and to engage key audiences to create, strengthen, or preserve conditions favorable for the advancement of our cause, interests, policies, and strategic goals and objectives
- Ensure the use of coordinated development and fundraising activities that include extended cultivation, education, and attentive stewardship — as well as appropriate solicitation synchronized with the actions of the Board of Trustees, Headquarters Staff, Volunteer Leadership, Supporters, and our Donors
- Ensure fundraising and development work together as we seek to meet our annual fundraising and budgetary goals
- Identify opportunities for Project Healing Waters to leverage cross-program strengths to take advantage of new opportunities and/or to address organizational challenges
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain Project Healing Waters’ high-performance senior management team with an emphasis on developing capacity in strategic analysis to enable effective development and fundraising opportunities
- In coordination with the Chief Executive Officer and executive team, play a key role in the overall development, strategic planning, service delivery, and management of the organization including all nationwide programs
- Lead the preparation and review of the annual development and fundraising budget
- Promote and maintain a high level of fiscal responsibility throughout the organization
- Work closely with the Controller and Chief Operating Officer to monitor organizational development and fundraising activities to ensure sound fiscal management
- Coordinate, implement, and analyze development and fundraising data
- Develop and ensure all development and fundraising metrics align with organizational strategy and funding requirements
- Ensure the continued financial viability of Project Healing Waters’ development and fund raising capacity through sound fiscal management
- Development and Fundraising Administration, Leadership, and Management
- Develop and conduct oversight and an annual review of all development and fundraising policies
- Provide development and fundraising training to the Board of Trustees, Staff, and Volunteer Leadership
- Support the Chief Program Officer in management of grant fundraising goals and objectives outlined in the Strategic Plan
- Lead national event management through graphic design for event logos, pamphlets, and event location selection and coordination
- Coordinate national event marketing with the Chief Marketing and Strategic Communication Officer
- Conduct an annual review to update all development and fundraising policies and procedures
- Create new development and fundraising policy and procedures as necessary or required
- Provide input for all marketing, media, and strategic communication policy and procedures
- Facilitate and guide volunteers in effective development and fundraising based on the organizational mission and strategic goals and objectives as defined in the Strategic Plan
- Organizational External Relationship Development:
- Manage and cultivate existing relationships with funders to secure and expand recurring revenue streams
- Publicly represent Project Healing Waters with the media and external constituency groups including community, governmental, and private organizations and build excitement for Project Healing Waters’ mission, vision, and principles
- Lead the and promotion and execution of national fundraising events and activities
- Represent the organization on committees and task forces, as well as speaking engagements, conference panels, and training events
- Strategic Plan Implementation:
- Provide development and fundraising leadership and input for all Strategic Plan implementation processes with the Chief Executive Officer and the Staff
- Mentor, train, coach volunteer leadership as they implement the Strategic Plan as it applies to development and fundraising initiatives and plans
- Using the Strategic Plan goals and objectives, develop an initial annual fundraising plan no later than 15 March 2017
- Each year, update the annual fundraising plan and the annual development plan no later than 15 December for the following calendar year.
- Develop and implement – with the Chief Operating Officer – a system for tracking and reporting on the progress to implement the Strategic Plan
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with extensive program management experience to grow and further develop a proven program that has already made significant impact. The successful candidate will partner with the Chief Executive Officer and work collaboratively with a high-performance management team. Specific requirements include:
- Minimum BS/BA degree with at least 10 years of experience and a track record in senior development and fundraising leadership
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach a senior-level staff to manage and develop high-performance teams and develop and implement development and fundraising strategies
- Deep experience in development and fundraising budgeting and fiscal management
- Track record of effectively leading a direct service organization with a complex array of programs with the ability to leverage strengths across program areas; excellent project management skills
- Analytic and decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate to staff key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals
- Ability to point to specific examples of having led organizational transformation projects and organizational development and fundraising activity
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven development and fundraising activity evaluation
- Fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent public speaking skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible, and innovative approach to development and fundraising
- Passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- The Chief Development and Fundraising Officer is fully informed on organizational matters within their scope of responsibility and provides updates to the Chief Executive Officer, Chairman, and the Board of Trustees during scheduled Board meetings as directed by the Chief Executive Officer.
- The Chief Development Officer must be creative and diplomatic under pressure with exceptional interpersonal and presenting skills.
- The Chief Development Officer must possess an advanced knowledge and understanding of nonprofit development and fundraising networking platforms as well as development and fundraising monitoring suite suppliers.
- The Chief Development Officer must possess experience of business and strategy development with the ability to build and leverage a strong network of peers and partners.
- The Chief Development Officer reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
- The Chief Executive Officer prepares the Chief Development Officer’s performance evaluation.
- The Chief Development Officer’s performance is evaluated annually based upon the performance of assigned requirements and duties.
Approval and Review Dates
The Chief Executive Officer annually reviews all Project Healing Waters’ Job Descriptions.
Approval Date: 1 January 2017
Review Date: 1 January 2018
Todd S. Desgrosseilliers
President & Chief Executive Officer
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Please indicate in your cover letter the position in which you are applying. Your resume should include relevant experience, educational background, and two to three references. The closing date for receipt of applications is August 16, 2017. Thank you for your interest the Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing.